May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
People of all ages and body types can benefit from regular physical activity. National Physical Fitness and Sports Month is a great time to spread the word about the benefits of getting active.
Here are just a few benefits of physical activity:
- Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness and bone and heart health.
- Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
Communities, health professionals, and families can work together to create opportunities for everyone to get more physical activity.
Make a difference: Spread the word about fun ways to get moving!
How can National Physical Fitness and Sports Month make a difference?
We can all use this month to raise awareness about the benefits of physical activity. Here are just a few ideas:
- Encourage families to make small changes, like taking a walk after dinner or going for a bike ride.
- Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of every student’s day.
- Identify youth leaders in the community who can talk to their peers about the importance of being active.
How can I help spread the word?
Here are a few ways that you can help spread the word about the importance of physical fitness and sports:
- Add information about physical activity to your newsletter.
- Tweet about National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- Host a community event where families can be active and learn about fun fitness activities.
- Add a Web badge to your Web site, blog, or social networking profile.