We’re in the community this summer! Physicians Immediate Care participates in a wide array of local community events to help educate our community members on the many health care services offered in our clinics, so if there is ever a need for urgent care, they will know that we are their neighborhood provider.
First Aid Services
Not only do we strive to help our communities by educating them on the services provided in the clinic, but our medical staff also offers free first aid at many of the large summer street festivals, fairs, and races throughout Illinois and Indiana.
This summer, Physicians Immediate Care is proud to be providing first aid at numerous events, including the following:
- Logan Square Arts Festival. From June 23rd to the 25th, this community arts event brings together residents and local artists to transform Logan Square with artwork and live music performed by local bands. The festival also boasts craft beers from local breweries, tons of delicious food from an array of neighborhood restaurants, and plenty of kid’s activities as well. Logan Square Arts Festival will be held in the Logan Square Circle (near the Illinois Centennial Monument) between Milwaukee Ave and Kedzie Blvd.
- Wicker Park Fest. This two-day street festival, called “Chicago’s Best Street Festival of the Summer” by the Chicago Tribune, features great live music, local food and drink vendors, plus Wicker Park’s many shops and restaurants. This year, Wicker Park Fest is on July 29th and 30th from 12pm to 10pm along Milwaukee Avenue between North Avenue and Paulina Street with entrances at the Northwest and Southeast ends of the festival.
- Jeff Fest Arts & Music Festival. Another great festival to check out this summer is Jeff Fest, where there is something for everyone! Jeff Fest features local and national music acts, food from area restaurants, and plenty of drinks to go around. The festival is being held from August 4th to 6th in Jefferson Park on the grounds of Jefferson Memorial Park at 4822 N. Long Avenue.
- Chicago Half Marathon. The Chicago Half Marathon is a unique event, giving runners the opportunity to run on a traffic-free Lake Shore Drive, taking in views of Lake Michigan, the skyline, and the Museum of Science and Industry campus. The scenic 13.1-mile course begins in Historic Jackson Park, then through Hyde Park, on to south Lake Shore Drive, and finishing at the golden Statue of the Republic. The Half Marathon will be held on September 24th at Jackson Park and the lakefront.
Avoiding First Aid
While you are out having fun at festivals, fairs, and other outdoor events, it is important to remember to keep safety in mind. Here are some simple tips to help you avoid the need for first aid at your local festival this summer:
- Stay hydrated. With high temperatures and the summer sun, it is important to keep yourself hydrated. Drink lots of water in order to prevent dehydration.
- Use sunscreen. When spending extended periods of time outdoors this summer, it is very important to practice sun safety. Apply sunscreen before going outside and also re-apply it every few hours throughout the day. You should bring a hat and sunglasses with you, too. It is also important to remember to occasionally get out of the sun and take breaks in a cool, shaded area. Too much heat can lead to serious illnesses, such as heat exhaustion and heatstroke.
- Avoid over-consumption of alcohol. This may seem like an obvious tip to follow, but it can be easy to lose track out how many cold beers you consume on a hot summer day. Always be conscious of your alcohol intake and remember to pace yourself.
For more information on staying safe at outdoor events this summer, check out these resources: